I have a delicate crystal goblet which is a little chipped around its edges through years of use. I know some of its history--at least in the last 50 years or so, but nothing of its usefulness before that.
This goblet belonged to my mother, and she gave it to me a while back. I am really glad I have it because it holds some good and bad memories for me. Good memories because it always lovingly showed up on a t.v. tray beside my bed when I was sick holding 7UP and a small straw and bad memories because of that same reason--I was sick.
The t.v. tray with the beautiful crystal did not show up just when I was sick but when all of my siblings were sick. It stayed for several days when my brothers each had their tonsils taken out and longer stints when we all came down with mumps and chicken pox in various stages of contagiousness. It was always the 7UP that was a mystery. Mom never kept it on hand, but it showed up in the goblet each time we became ill. I guess there are some things we will never understand.
For some reason I always believed that this goblet was the last of a set that my mother had received as a wedding gift--the last because I had broken the rest. But Mom said this same goblet showed up by her bedside when she was sick as a child. Maybe I should call it the "Healing Goblet."
No matter what it is called, whenever it look at it I can hear it say, "I love you."



No comments:
Post a Comment