I have been watching my rhubarb plant push it's shoots out of the ground since March. This plant has alot of sentimental meaning to me. My mother got a rhubarb start from a friend in Preston, Idaho in the early 1970s. When she moved to Utah in 1974, she took a start of it with her. Then she gave me a start in the 1980s when I had my own garden. When I moved in 2006 I took a start from my plant and today it thrives. I once had a friend ask me what soil conditions rhubarb would grow best. I told her, "Any."
At this date I have already made a new, bright scarlet batch of rhubarb/berry jam and stored it lovingly away in my freezer. If you like rhubarb or don't know if you do or not, try this recipe. It is simple, fast and always turns out.
I love the rhubarb and assorted berry combination and could never go back to just rhubarb and strawberry.
Easy Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
5 C. rhubarb, finely chopped in food processor *
3 C. sugar
1 sm. pkg. strawberry or any berry-flavored gelatin [The berry fusion is a really good flavor. If you double the batch, you can mix two different gelatin flavors such as strawberry and berry. It always turns out differently.]
Combine the chopped rhubarb and sugar and let stand overnight. [I keep it in the fridge.] Next morning simmer this mixture for 10-15 minutes. Stir in a package of strawberry or any berry flavored gelatin. Pour into jam jars and freeze when jam is cool.



No comments:
Post a Comment