Sunday, May 29, 2011

What is it about women and aprons?

I have thought some about women and aprons. I suppose in years way back no one considered making a fashion statement by wearing them. Women worked hard from before sunrise past when the sun went down and aprons always adorned their simple dresses. This seemed to be the same in most European and North American cultures.

I have noted that by the 1940s and 1950s, aprons became quite decorative. I would guess that because of modern conveniences like washing machines, electric ovens and running water, women had more time to make an apron for themselves that the neighbors might envy.



I inherited some of my maternal grandmother's fabric scraps and remnants she purchased in the 1950s and 1960s. So as I began to be interested in aprons, I decided to use one of these remnants and make an apron that would resemble something she might have produced.

Since I never throw away a pattern, I thought this apron pattern might work.


Here is my beautiful niece Ashley modeling my creation. I am sure it would not have been the envy of the neighborhood, but I love looking and feeling the fabric and knowing who it belonged to.

No comments:

Post a Comment